Early detection works.
Show Me Healthy Women
A FREE breast & cervical cancer screening program is available now at Mississippi County Health Department for eligible women living in Scott, New Madrid and Mississippi counties.
Mammograms & Breast Cancer Screening*
- More than 5,000 Missouri women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year.
- The average U.S. female has a 1 in 8 chance of developing breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Regular mammograms can decrease breast cancer mortality by 30%.
Pap Smears & Cervical Cancer Screening*
- Hundreds of Missouri women will be diagnosed with cervical cancer this year.
- About 1 in 3 of those diagnosed will die from the disease.
- Regular Pap screening decreases cervix cancer mortality by an estimated 80%
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Show Me Healthy Women Project through Mississippi County Health Department provides free mammograms and pap smears to women who meet certain income and age guidelines. This project has been established to help detect breast and cervical cancers in their earliest stages when they are easiest to treat
You are eligible for a free screening if you:
- A woman, ages 35 to 64 (or older if you do not receive Medicare Part B)
- Are a U.S. citizen residing in Missouri
- Do not have insurance to cover program services
- Your household income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty level
- You have not had a Pap test or mammogram in the past 12 months
Please bring a valid driver’s license, proof of address (a utility bill, for example) and proof of income (your W2 tax form, for example) with you to the screening appointment to verify eligibility.